Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo!

Happy 5th of May everyone! We decided to celebrate this Mexican holiday by exposing our kids to a little new food culture-Mexican treats! I found Pena Fiel in a local grocery store (actually, this brand is Jarritos, but Mexican soda pop will always be Pena Fiel to me). I also found my favorite Mexican treat, Sponch. It is a cookie, with marshmellow and coconut topping. These are some of my favorite memories from a family reunion trip to Mexico a long time ago. It is only fitting that I introduce my kids (and husband) to the treats.
The boy's first taste of Sponch. Aidan's critique was "I didn't love it," while Wyatt ate about half.
Lydia carried hers around for a while, but I eventually found a soggy, half eaten cookie in the living room. The pop went over much better! They both loved it and drank it right down. Aidan said, "I love this stuff! The bubbles are going to my head!" They also liked to clink the bottles together (which resulted in some spilled Pena Fiel). We finished off the day with Taco Soup (it was cold and I didn't want to make enchiladas!) and Mario Cart. It is fun to add just a little tiny bit something different to an otherwise everyday, boring week. I think we all enjoyed tasting something new.
Taco Soup Recipe (courtesy sis in law Angela)
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can corn (add another 1/2-1 can in for soupier soup)
1 can diced tomatoes (add another 1/2-1 can in for soupier soup)
1 lb ground beef, browned
1 envelope taco seasoning
Throw everything into a crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve over Fritos and with shredded chedder cheese and sour cream. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment