Friday, April 2, 2010

A Room Fit for a Princess

WARNING: PICTURE HEAVY AND DRIPPING WITH CUTENESS! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!
So, I have been wanting to redo my daughter's room, well, ever since she was born. I didn't like the crib bedding we had, etc. I always had an excuse. But I didn't know exactly what I wanted, so Jeremy put the kibosh on that plan until I KNEW what I wanted (he has these crazy ideas on not spending money on things we didn't really need/want-silly boy ;) ). So, I was just trying to be content with what I had until I saw THESE prints on an everyday trip to Target. I finally KNEW what I wanted to do in her room. A princess room for our little Princess! Perfect! And the prints were on sale (double yay!) so I added them to my cart with all sorts of fun ideas swirling around in my head.
The room was already painted this beautiful shade of light pink, so we were set there. These prints went over the changing table (which Jeremy made for me when pregant with Aidan) and the white dresser we already had. Also, the crib is white too. On the other side of the room is her crib, and above the crib we (by we, I mean Jeremy hung them and I told him where to put them) hung 5 small white shelves that we bought at Home Depot (YAY!) On the shelves, are a few porcelin dolls from my childhood, a collection of tiaras (which I intend to add to) some princess books (which I also intend to add to), empty picture frames (which I intend to put pictures in at some point) and some adorable letter blocks spelling out LYDIA that I got from my favorite children's boutique in town. I also covered the Princess word with stick on jewels for a bit of fun. I show you the crib only to point out the beautiful tulle bedskirt. Isn't it sweet and perfect for a princess? And the blanket hanging is a gift for Lydia from my grandma. The window wall. The gauzy curtains were from my sister's wedding. Every princess room MUST have floor length gauze curtains, don't you think? Her bow hanger (yes, I realize that is an obscene number of bows. I don't really care.) I really got into this craft project. I used my Cricut to cut out pink vinyl letters and affixed them to this board hanging with pink and white ribbons for her clips to attach to. I also found this wooden crown, painted it white and hot glued "jewels" to it and used it for a "topper." I made 2 wooden crowns and used the other for. . . This (because I love symetry). I found this matching print (actually, it is a growth chart) on the Target website and I had to have it (it was on sale too-see, this room was totally meant to be!). I embellished it with a ribbon and crown hanger and if you look very closely, you can see that there are "jewels" hanging from the ribbons.Okay, this *might* be my favorite part of the room. After I (well, Jeremy) hung the curtains, I felt that the space above the window was too plain. I had the idea to cut out white vinyl crowns with my Cricut and embellish them with more "jewels". It turned out perfect. It was exactly what that space needed.
And that is Miss Lydia's princess room. Probably my favorite room in the house now (well, I really love my kitchen too.) Thanks for letting me share. So, what do you think? I am particuarly proud of how it turned out. It is even better in person (since I am no photographer) so if you are in the neighborhood, stop by! One last picture-every princess must have a pony, right? Except this pony spends a lot more time in the living room being rode on by the princes who also inhabit this castle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! SO sweet, Rachel!!! Very nicely done. I LOVE that tulle bedskirt! What a wonderful idea! And the shelves look great. I always have such a hard time deciding what to put in places like that, but you did an awesome job. Everything fits perfectly! :) I'll have to come over sometime and see it for real!

    ReplyDelete