Sunday, July 11, 2010

What Rachel is Reading

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (aunt and niece team)
I was told by several people that I need to read this book. Finally, I picked it up at the library and I am sure glad that I did.
This book is entirely composed of letters and notes, either the sender or reciever being Juliet Ashton. Juliet is an author looking for her next book and she finds it on the island of Guernsey. Set in Post World War 2, we discover what the fine people of Guernsey did to survive the invasion of German soldiers. Juliet falls in love with the people, and decides to visit, and they welcome her with open arms and hearts.
I love Guernsey. I fell in love with every single charater. They were all so well developed and well written! At first, when I discovered that the whole story was letters, I was reluctant. I thought that it would get really boring to read letter after letter, but it wasn't! It was fun! It was so neat to see the relationship that were already established (between Juliet and her best friends Sidney and Sophie) and the relationships that were being built (between Juliet and the people of Guernsey). Letters are so personal, and it was fun to see the banter between everybody. This book was so funny! Not only was it a great historical fiction (I have read little about post World War 2 in Europe, because the topic is depressing, but I learned quite a bit) but it also had a great little love story in it, along with a bit of intrigue.
This book will be going on my bookshelf. One I have to own and will reread over and over.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I want to read this one. I should go get it. I've heard amazing things about it. Besides I need a good can't put it down book right now. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete